On-demand food delivery apps such as Swiggy are hugely popular now. Their ability to enable worry-free food for us is extremely convenient.Food delivery apps such as Swiggy are not just a blessing for it users, but also for Food business owners.
So you might want to get the benefits of an app like Swiggy for your business. But what is Swiggy all about? It’s history, reason for success, features, cost of app development, time taken for development, investment, etc.
Let’s take a look at how to create an app like Swiggy and its overall budget.
The Swiggy Story
Swiggy began its operations in 2014 and gained great support and love from customers soon. Pilani Sriharsha Majety and Nandan Reddy, two young graduates are the heroes behind the success story of Swiggy.
They along with Rahul Jaimani started Swiggy as a hyperlocal food delivery business in August 2014. The initial stages gained about 150+ delivery personnel and tie-ups with 300 restaurants. Swiggy completed about 1000+ daily orders too.
The funds obtained by Swiggy were a breakthrough in the start-up industry. In 2016, Swiggy established its presence on about 7 big cities including Bengaluru, Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Hyderabad, Chennai, and Kolkata.
This wide reach and acceptance paved the way for many firms to partner with Swiggy. In the year 2018, Swiggy partnered with ICICI Bank and Flipkart’s Phonepe enabling users to make trouble-free payment methods.
Below are some of the noteworthy programs done by swiggy making it the most popular and valued food delivery start-up.
- Post-midnight delivery in Delhi, Hyderabad till 2 am.
- Swiggy Capital assists in giving free loans to the restaurant partners.
- Launch of swiggy pop offering curated single-serve menus under 200 Rs.
- ‘Swiggy Scheduled’ to plan & order meals in advance.
- ‘Swiggy Super’ for monthly and quarterly subscription plans.
Why do people love ordering food online?
In this busy world, who desires long queues for buying food, reserving tables & reading lengthy menus? Every single stage in a package version will be encouraged for sure. Below are some of the factors which attract people towards online food delivery
- Faster delivery in your doorsteps.
- Choose from various payment methods; Cash on delivery, credit/debit cards etc
- Instant ordering with discounts or coupons.
- Versatile filters for cuisines, restaurants & even food items.
- Track your food & give reviews.
Table of Contents
Steps to create a food delivery app like Swiggy
#1. Attractive & easy user interface
You are replacing the whole hotel procedure into an app! You shouldn’t feel it as a waste of time. A food delivery app should be easy to use and navigate. You could feel clarity on pages & results should be favourable. Otherwise, they will switch to other “your kind” app.
#2. Active performance on all devices
Ensure that your app can appear in various forms. Some people like to order on websites and some in desktop apps. However, you could help people in easy ordering, make them do further orders in your app & your app only.
#3. A Great package of information
Relevant & complete information is the heart of a food ordering & delivery app. Users should feel full in each stage of ordering. Little confusion on your apps can make them irritated & discontinue.
So, data on different restaurants, food items, cuisines, delivery time & many such things should be mentioned in your app. This information makes them feel effortless & complete their order.
#4. Diverse & secure payment methods
One of the most appealing factors in a food delivery app is payments at ease. An array of payment methods can make users feel about the flexibility of your app.
Making them feel secure about their confidential details can establish a long-term relationship with them. Multiple payment methods can accelerate your service & it is a must-have feature today.
#5. Provide offers & rewards
Everyone like Tasty foods at reasonable prices & some additional offers make them extra happy. It sounds great, right? Most on-demand food delivery apps now work on rewards & offers which benefits both the users, restaurants & developers.
Providing pocket- friendly deals & frequent offers could enable users to engage with your app & order more.
Read Also : How to Create an App like Uber Eats
Delivery app models
#1. The Aggregator model
It is said as the traditional model of delivery. A single website or app gives access to various cuisines & restaurants here. This process is mediated by aggregators who act as mediators between local restaurants and customers.
Customers can browse on a great number of cuisines & restaurants. Once you have a registered account, you can start exploring menus and order your favourite food.
This order is passed to the restaurant by the aggregator & the delivery service is done by the restaurant. Apps like Zomato &UberEATS come under this model.
#2. Logistics-focused platforms
Swiggy follows this model of delivery. Wondering what this model is? Unlike the aggregator model, restaurants could focus on customers & their further needs. Owners could avoid the process of monitoring drivers, paying them & vehicle maintenance costs.
The third party here makes a partnership with restaurants & with complete logistics support. Partnerships can be very beneficial to restaurants.
Features of food delivery apps
Some features make on-demand food delivery apps unique from other service apps. These features are categorised into four according to the persons dealing with them. Four types of panels namely
- Customer Panel
- Restaurant Panel
- Admin panel
- Delivery Person Panel
Customer Panel features
The vital category of a food delivery app is its users. They should feel easy & comfortable with your app throughout the order & until the food is delivered.
- Sign in: One can sign in using a mobile number following OTP verification of the number.
- Location: Users can enable auto-detection of location or manually enter your location.
- Homepage: Consists of many restaurants near your location and top reviewed ones.
- Search: You can search for your favourite foods & restaurants here. Apps provide filters to choose between hundreds of options before you.
- Order food: One can go through the menu, select food items, place & confirm the order, get it delivered.
- Cart: Here, you can view the price and other details of your order. You can order them whenever you wish to.
- Payment: Users can view the total payable amount & select from various payment methods
- Track your order: You can track the entire process happening with your order. Once it is out for delivery, you can track the delivery boy.
- Account: My account is a section where you can manage the addresses, payment methods, Liked & favourite things, and offers. It also showcases your previous orders with a reorder option.
- Rate &Review: Rate the order after its delivery and you can review them too.
- Order history: Details of current order & options to make queries about the delivery.
Restaurant Panel features
- Menu management: Add/delete food items according to their availability. Updates on new items & combo offers should be mentioned.
- Dashboard: View various orders & their status like cancelled, pending & upcoming orders.
- Food order management: View details of various orders & ensure quantity along with the quality of food.
- Cancel orders: Restaurants can cancel orders.
- Restaurant Profile: Create & update the restaurant profile with all the relevant information about the restaurant.
- Chats: Chat with users in response to the feedback & queries the restaurant.
Delivery person app features
- Sign in: A Delivery person can sign in via phone number/email id.
- Status: It indicates whether the person can make a delivery or not. He/she can accept or reject the delivery requests.
- Call/chat: Users can chat with the delivery person about the order or queries related to the order. The Calling facility helps delivery boys to reach at correct destination with least effort.
- Location & GPS Navigation: The delivery person can reach the customer’s or restaurant’s location to collect and deliver the order.
- Dashboard: View details on completed orders, upcoming & cancelled orders.
Admin panel features
- User management: – Manage various users of the app & monitor their activities.
- Menu management: – By joining with the restaurant, admin panel add/delete food items in various cuisines.
- Food order management: – Can view the upcoming, current & cancelled orders.
- Dashboard: – View details & summary about pending, upcoming & cancelled orders for particular restaurants.
- Payment management: – Monitor various transactions done by users.
- Push notifications: – Admins send push notifications to users about updates, seasonal offers or any system related news.
- Transaction history: – Can view order summary, order id, payment method etc of an order.
- Offers &coupons: – Generate seasonal offers & coupons for users.
- Analytics: – Using 3rd party analytics tool, admins can make reports on a daily, monthly/annual basis.
Let’s look on the various technical stacks which give shape to an awesome food delivery app
Platforms: iOS, Android, Web
Data platform: S3, Presto, Druid, Snowflake, Flume, Hive, Spark, Storm
Database: Postgress, HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra
Payments: e-wallets, Stripe, PayPal, Braintree, net banking
Navigation: Google maps
Push notifications: Push.io, Twilio
Analytics: Storm, Flink, Firebase.
Cloud Environment: Azure, Google, AWS.
Monetization strategies of food delivery apps
Advertisements are one of the most popular sources of revenue generation. Food delivery apps charge for display ads or short video clips about restaurants. It is often placed on the homepage & these positions are also a factor affecting the charge.
#2. Delivery charges
Restaurants without delivery facilities can be concerned here. You can get paid for providing your app with delivery personnel to them. Popular on-demand food delivery app like Deliveroo made revenue of $164 million by this monetization model.
#3. Surge price
Haven’t you noticed extra costs on days when demand is high or when there is rain or another difficulty? The app limits menu options but charges extra from customers. An increased delivery amount can increase the revenue of your app.
#4. Fixed commission
Here, apps charge a fixed commission per order. Each order made by a user is converted into revenue for the app platform. It also helps in building a long-term relationship between the restaurant and app.
Popular food delivery apps
Below are some of the dominating on-demand food delivery apps which are very much familiar & widely used ones.
|Uber Eats||Offer food delivery services in major cities around the globe. Allows ordering food in simple steps & easy digital transactions. Enables real-time tracking of your order delivered by freelance delivery persons under UberEATS.|
|Swiggy||Largest & most popular online food ordering & delivering app platform. Partnered with various top food industries & giving world class experience to users in easy food delivery service.|
|Zomato||With its very unique feature to reserve tables for dining, Zomato is a very popular food delivery platform. It also contains the latest features like social media integration, special offers to subscribed users, follow & interact with other users etc.|
|Deliveroo||Deliveroo makes its service in a limited radius without an individual delivery system. It provides delivery services more efficiently as its means of transport include bicycles, motorcycles. This paves the way to include more people in the delivery service.|
|Grub Hub||Well-known for its increased regular customers. It helps users to connect with various restaurants but delivers services through independent contractors. Grub Hub allows personalization of app for users & has many customised filters on many categories.|
How much will it cost to create a food delivery app like Swiggy?
As we all know, it is the preferred features & functionalities that make way for the estimation of the cost of your app idea. Some of the other factors determining the cost to create a Swiggy like app are as follows.
- Number of platforms
- The region where the app is developed
- Various payment gateways
- Size of App development team
- App complexity
|Simple/Basic App||Full-fledged app||Average Running cost|
|$3,500 to $9,500||$18000 to $35000||$1,000 per month|
Read Also : 11 Must Have Restaurant Mobile App Features
As there is an increasing demand for food delivery apps, you can start planning a delivery app with impressive design & ease in every aspect. If you have a great app idea & want to execute it in the best way, come join us & create a successful app like Swiggy of your own.